Tuesday 23 July 2013

Sourav Singh Parihar ( A2325312017)


MY VACATIONS
“But what are you going to do?” “I don’t know, let it be as random as it can be” I definitely could have given my friend a better response and a safer one at that, but come vacations and all I want to do is switch-off and relax. ‘These ones were not going to be different’ I thought. Pretty much resonating with my thoughts the summer vacations, which started soon after our end terms got over, were my time to lay back and unwind.
In a week’s time, I had my maternal uncle’s marriage coming up, so I had to gear up to help him getting organized for his marriage. We went to Chandni-Chowk in old Delhi to assemble all the practical details required for the wedding. Though shopping is something I least prefer to do on holidays as these but the time required me to be a man and help him organize for his big day.
It was not the first time that I was visiting Chandni-Chowk. I have earlier visited the place quite a few times, but all those times I was here with my mother. The simple difference on coming with my mother is that until she finds things that suit her taste she leaves no stone unturned to bring the poor shopkeepers on their knees. All this makes me pity the shopkeeper rather than enjoying the sheer shopping pleasure. However, things are different with my uncle. He is a fun person to be with; you know the ‘full-of-life’ types.
We visited some showrooms for bridal wear, and finalled a striking cream and red coloured sherwani adorned with beautiful handmade work. We also had to shop for other fabrics for gifting purposes, so the shopping went on for a while. Chandni-Chowk has some different aura to it. The narrow lanes, the often-bearable commotion, the countless variety of stuff ranging from anything to everything-all this give it a different sensation of its own.
Well I always feel that though Delhi might have aged, but Chandni-Chowk is growing at its own pace and not aging like everything else. The shopping had finished and my mother was seemingly pleased at everything we had bought. The wedding was fun, though I didn’t enjoy much as all my uncle were busy doing something or the other and I didn’t had any of my friends to attend the wedding, so I shoved off to sleep even before all the rites were performed.
After the wedding, I was back again, with being the couch potato I am. One fine weekend my father decided to pay a visit to Mathura at lord Krishna’s temple. Though my dormant mind resisted for a while, but I decided to visit the temple. My family was ready early morning to leave for Mathura. We took the Yamuna expressway to reach our destination. The expressway though is famous for major road accidents however has a very international feel to it. I chose to go behind the wheel and drove the car for a good two hundred kilometres. The only thing that I didn’t like about the highway was that it was cemented, which made our ride a little bumpy.
It gives me immense pleasure to drive cars. The mere thought of working with cars brings me on my edges. This train of thought led me to think about doing my masters in automobile engineering. As we reached Mathura, there was a long, tiring day awaiting us. As it was Sunday, it seemed whole Mathura had come out to greet the lord in large numbers. As we stood at the last end of the queue, I could see myriad colours all holding baskets of flowers and a puja thali. Large loudspeakers sang the glory of lord and his Rasleela.
The view was mesmerising and it sent me thinking about the unbelievable devotion and faith that rests with these people. Though they might have mammoth problems to deal with in their lives they still come out and display an unwavering faith in their deities. We did our darshan and had our dinner at one of the eateries they have set up at the Yamuna expressway. Our family had after a long time set out to eat. As always, my sister got to order her favourite dishes. She always gets away with her crabby behaviour because she is the youngest. I have stopped resenting that for a long time now.
Meanwhile the monsoons took over the city and the weather had become pleasing. I enjoyed the days with my friends and of course not forgetting the computer games. I am already in love with the people who make these games. I also enjoyed surfing through the net for various new technologies that have taken the world by storm, one among them being ‘The shape memory alloys’. They seem to be the next big thing in the machine world.
There were also some fun filled moments like the one in which we were playing football and suddenly it started raining and our game was turned into rugby. It was an amazing experience, a truly wet one. These vacations were delighting ones because I got to do something which I am best at- doing nothing. There was some serious gaming with my friends and some sweat breaking at the lovely rugby matches.
Though I didn’t do anything productive in these holidays , I enjoyed it to the fullest.


No comments:

Post a Comment